The Trattoria Project and Spectaculars: Mummy's Birthday Dinner







DSC_1385 DSC_0826
DSC_0077 pg2
pg1 pg3
pg4 pg6
pg8 pg5
pg7 pg9

Friday, October 12, 2007

Mummy's Birthday Dinner

It was an underpants sweating 6 hour ordeal, there were 5 courses, in which 2 of the dishes are from my repertoire. Hehe, so I be terribly sorry as usual, I can't post any of the recipes, top secret :)

You might be thinking that I must be such a great son but then again the main aim was to showcase my talents to Mom in hopes she'll contribute a part to my new Trattoria. HEHE, but then again it wasn't easy making a fine 5 course meal. Especially tough physically, mentally and in the pocket.

I started off with a Duet of Scallops, Fire and Ice, Cappasante con Brodo di Funghi and Ceviche of Scallops with XO sauce. The Ceviche was a recipe I got from Chef Migel that was the cold and delicate one and the Italian style scallop was spicy and hot. Tantalizing.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Followed by a Carpaccio of Pacific Snapper with Broccoli Florets and Red Pepper Vinaigrette, an inspiration from the local raw fish and sesame salad. It was good but could be a load better if I hadn't forgotten about the sesame oil! Baaaaaahhhh!

The first 2 dishes should be already driving them to ask for more, so the 3rd course's something that would fit the bill.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Portabello and Mozzarella Crostini. Very easy, very simple, rather common. One of my very favorites, you can never go wrong with thyme, mushrooms and cheese. Perfect combination.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Main course! One of my best recipes! Pan-roasted Leg of Duck with Fig and Raspberry Jus. It was undoubtedly PAINSTAKING to make this one. Mainly because I had to cut down 3 organic ducks and I'm not exactly skilled in doing it. The good thing is, the duck fat in the freezer has been restocked! More high class fries! Woo hoo!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And because dessert is such a cliche, I ended it with a Vanilla Caramel Panna Cotta with Berry Compote. There is no dessert like Panna Cotta, it is truly amazing.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The secret to making a good Panna Cotta is to ensure there isn't too much or little gelatin, there is a right amount you'll have to find out. Also, if you have something sweet to go with the Panna Cotta, like in my case, the compote, go very easy with the sugar. So that neither will be overpowering and they'll fuse together in perfect harmony in the mouth.


It's been a long day, I am awfully tired and in need of some fun. Off to the pubs! Until tomorrow, ciao-la!

No comments:














.
.